Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Marc Webb

Interesting fact: I don't want to be Steven Spielberg. I want to be Marc Webb.

"Who?" you ask.

Marc Webb is a music video director. He currently works for DNA LA and has directed videos for everyone from Hot Hot Heat to Midtown to My Chemical Romance to Weezer. I guarantee you have seen and loved some of his videos without even knowing it. He has worked with artists from every genre and makes amazing videos. Especially videos about losers ("She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd and "Perfect Situation" by Weezer are great examples of this).

My opinion on music videos is that they should draw you in, even to a song by a band that you don't particularly like, and make you connect with the video. Music videos are a marketing tool, and they allow bands to reach different viewers and audiences by putting a different spin on the song, or by showing you a different level of meaning in the music. Or just by being fun and fast and interesting.

In any case, Marc Webb did this for my with his video for "I'm Not Okay" by My Chemical Romance. I refused to listen to MCR for years, claiming that even if I was sad and unhappy, I was just not that emo. But I watched his video and found it so enthralling and witty and perfectly descriptive that I watched it over and over again. Not only had I found my new favorite music video, but I had also found one of my new favorite bands in the process. Webb drew me in with a fabulous video and exposed me to music I wouldn't have otherwise listened to.

So here, without further ado, is my favorite music video. I'll embed it here from youtube, but I strongly suggest you go to Marc Webb's (www.marcwebb.com) actual page and watch it there in high quality, because this video truly deserves it. Enjoy:


No comments: