Friday, December 26, 2008

Vinyl

My favorite band is Weezer.

My favorite album is The Blue Album.

My favorite song is "Only in Dreams."

Today, for the first time, I got to hear it played straight from a record. I was a vinyl virgin, but had wanted Blue on vinyl for a long, long time. And finally, this Christmas, it sat wrapped and waiting under the tree.

I didn't even know how to use the turntable. It was embarrassing, but after one terrible screech (note: the needle should be on the record. If you think it's on the record but it's actually right beside it, terrible sounds occur, both from the record and the owner of the turntable) it started to play. Was it entirely different from the CD? Was the sound quality 1000 times better? No. But there was a noticeable difference, especially in song intros that were composed of just one guitar. Everything sounded a touch rougher, but nicer. And "Only in Dreams" was still perfect and building and beautiful.

I need to find a frame for it because I don't own a turntable of my own and I can't think of many other things I'd rather hang on my wall.

No comments: