Thursday, January 15, 2009

For the first time in 14 months, I was without concert plans. That's been fixed.

Friends or Enemies just announced a spring tour featuring Fall Out Boy, Cobra Starship, Metro Station, All Time Low, and Hey Monday.

That crowd is going to be the biggest bunch of scene kids ever. Holy Goodness.

The Boston date is, of course, a Tuesday night. Because every concert I want to go to is on Tuesday nights, and Tuesday nights are organic chemistry quizzes and tests. Last semester the Weezer concert was on a Tuesday night, and I took the test as fast as possible, handed it in to the TA, and literally ran out of the building. I must have looked like a crazy person. In the end, I missed Tokyo Police Club (I was very disappointed) but saw Angels in Airwaves (not very impressed) and Weezer (I almost died of happiness.) Luckily, the "Believers Never Die" tour is on the night of just a quiz, and the professor drops the lowest quiz grade. I guess I'll be missing the last quiz of the semester.

As a side note, I'm slightly disappointed with Folie a Deux. You can't really write two records in a row about being famous. "What a Catch Donnie" sounds like the funeral of the band and I still can't get the stupid dancing bears out of my head whenever I hear "Headfirst Slide into Cooperstown on a Bad Bet." Add that to mirror image song titles and the same lyrics we've been hearing for years, and I'm not impressed.

There are some good points though. "She's My Winona" has some terrific vocals. I love the way they shift up and down and change slightly throughout the song. "I Don't Care" is the epitome of a great pop song, with a catchy beat and a narcissistic message. "20 Dollar Nose Bleed" is probably my favorite off of the CD, due mostly to Brendon Urie's added vocals. (Side note: They spelled his name incorrectly in the liner notes. Again. Which makes me wonder if it's a running joke and not a mistake.) It's not a bad album, but I expected more from them.

No comments: