Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sell-outs?

I'm mildly amused that everyone is so upset about this:



Confused? Well, in 2004, Billy Corgan said this:

"Last year, I was offered heavy, heavy money to license "Today". I actually turned down two huge, huge, seven-figure-plus deals last year for two songs.... At this point in my life, I don't feel comfortable. Those songs are the reason I'm alive. If your music is not sacred to the point where it's a really, really, really heavy decision about whether or not you would allow somebody else to exploit it, then what's not for sale?"

And now it's on a Visa commercial. Musicians make music because they love it (we hope), and so it's sad to see such an important song stuck to such a mundane commercial.
But you know what? Musicians also have to eat. And live somewhere. And buy clothing and instruments and all other kinds of stuff. If selling out means making money off of your music, then the only real musicians left should be penniless and hungry without enough strength to strike a chord.

No comments: