Monday, April 13, 2009

My first 4 music videos

So the Amanda Palmer video in the last post, where they sit down at the table to devour the abusive husband, made me think of something else.

There are four music videos that I remember seeing as a small child, about three or four years old. The first is "Video Killed the Radio Star." I'm not sure if this was just dumb luck, or if my father made sure for the good of my upbringing that this was the first, because it was also the first music video to play on MTV. I loved it as a small child because I looked like the little girl in the video, and because I love the space fairy thing trapped in the tube.




The second is "Mickey" by Toni Basil. I have no idea why I like this. But I remember the story my Dad told me about the record producer not wanting to put out the single, but his daughter loved the music video because she was a cheerleader, so he went along with it and put it on the radio. The power of having your father wrapped around your little finger.




The next is "Smells Like Teen Spirit." It must have just come out at the time, and the fact that I saw it is probably attributed to my brother, who also played me Alice in Chains while babysitting. We are not the children my mother expected us to be. One of these years, I really want to be an anarchist cheerleader for Halloween.




Finally, the video that started this entry, "Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. This is of course why the Amanda Palmer video reminded me of all of this, because at one point Alice turns into a cake and everyone crowds around to eat her. This video gave me nightmares as a three year-old. I kept dreaming that I turned into a cake and that strangely dressed party goers chopped me up and ate me. No lie. I remember liking it at first because of Alice in Wonderland, and then being freaked out. This one I blame on my father.



These are the four videos that defined my knowledge of music videos. Who knows what that means for the ones I'll make.

No comments: