Monday, May 25, 2009

Spiders and Sorrows and Shake Tramps

Oh Holy Goodness there is a spider!

Okay. Alright. I'm alright. I'm in my backyard and a spider just crawled too far into my personal space. There may have been flailing involved in my efforts to be rid of it.

There have been no concerts lately. There have been no new albums (except for Green Day, but I feel like they've stopped trying). There hasn't even really been any good music news (Well, aside from the fact that Blink 182 is touring with Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco AND Weezer. I'm going to have to go to two dates of this tour to catch all of these bands, but I'm alright with that, even though I'm not a Blink 182 fan. But I'm also not a not-fan. I'm completely impartial. They will have two nights to win me over or turn me away.) So instead of that, I'm giving you the two old songs that I'm completely obsessed with at the moment.

The first is "Our Lady of Sorrows" by My Chemical Romance. It's very old, off of "I Brought You My Bullets You Brought Me Your Love." It's a fast paced song, and it feels like speeding down a highway with your hands off the wheel. It's got layers of instruments all fighting for themselves and then it hits the chorus and they all come together in striking pounding chords, with Gerard Way screaming out over them. Sadly, none of my friends are quite this emo/angry, and everyone I play it for with the exclamation of "Isn't this awesome?" just looks at me like I need treatment. It makes me feel something, and isn't that what music should do?

The second (much more up tempo, and much more Canadian) is "Shake Tramp" by Marianas Trench. I know almost nothing about this band, except for the fact that they're from Canada and that this video was at one point featured on Video on Trial (which is damn funny and I wish we got it in the US). But the terrible dancing , the weird 50s section, and the perky chorus of "they slap you like a bitch and you take it like a whore" means that I have been watching this video like crazy. So here. Enjoy some Canadian punk pop:

No comments: