Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Things I Love and Things I Hate Today

Thing I Love: Regina Spektor's new song "Laughing With." I'm not usually a Regina Spektor fan, I think mainly because "Fidelity" was everywhere for a while and started to drive me nuts, but this song is pretty and light and the vocals are gorgeous. Also, the idea of an artist singing about God outside of country music and not making fun of religion the entire time is refreshing.


Thing I Hate: The video for it. It is very random, very scattered. And while this can sometimes be good, I feel that it is so off base that when she pulls off her own head it actually takes away from the song listening experience, something a music video should never do. It doesn't have to match up with the song, but it should never detract and distract from it.



Thing I Love: Up! I went to see this with one of my best friends last night. It wasn't the best Pixar movie ever, but it was full of great detail and cute jokes, like everything Pixar turns out. As a warning though, the first twenty minutes are filled with much heavier stuff than most Disney movies, above and beyond their usual maternal death (Bambi, Beauty and the Beast, Finding Nemo, and about every other Disney movie ever). But it made up for it with great colors (balloons and birds and paintings), a hilarious elderly protagonist, and talking dogs.

Thing I Hate: The album art for Cobra Starship's new album, "Hot Mess." It's sleazy. And the pastel colors make me feel like it was designed by someone just playing around with photoshop for the first time. Which is why at first I thought it was a joke, but now I'm not so sure. Not only has Cobra Starship done the "portrait with cut off eyes" cover before, but the water, stringy hair, and shiny skin take it from cheap joke to gross. They are one of my favorite bands, and I'm so so proud that they've just made it into the Top 40, but I just don't get what they're doing lately. I like where they're going with "Pete Wentz is the Only Reason We're Famous" but not so much with "Good Girls Go Bad." I'll see what happens when they're new video comes out next week.

No comments: