Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hot Mess

It struck me today that Cobra Starship's new album is basically an expansion of their song "Damn You Look Good and I'm Drunk (Scandalous)".

EW has a stream of the title track "Hot Mess." Erm. Um. Okay. It's not bad. I like it. It's not exactly classic Cobra, but I'll dance to this, sure. I want more drums. And not fake drumbeats from a synth - I want Nate Novarro in the back of the stage banging away for all he's worth because he's awesome to watch when they give him real drumming to do, but I don't hear much of it here. I'm still on the fence about the song, but I don't think the album is going to be a complete train wreck. I know it was Gabe's dream at one point to create an album based entirely on keyboards and synth, but I would love to see some real instruments come back into their music. Drums and guitars and Alex Suarez on the bass. I also want Victoria there rocking the keytar, but I don't really want three keyboards and a vocalist. It's good for a few songs, but you can't build an entire album on garage band. Listening back right now on "Pete Wentz is the Only Reason We're Famous" has assured me that there are other instruments on the album, and even some opportunities for fabulous drumming, but I want more of them.

Gabe Saporta, you have an entire band - use them!

No comments: