Monday, August 24, 2009

School, Felicia Day, and Elevator

I'm currently packing for school, trying to pack 20 years of clothes and memories and music into boxes and bags and I just need a break. I can't believe I go back to school tomorrow, start my third year of college tomorrow. I've over scheduled myself and had to make some sacrifices to try and fit everything in, and sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. If I look at my life at forty, even thirty, and all I'm doing is going back and forth from home to a research lab every day, studying model organisms and spending all day looking through a microscope, I'm not sure I'll be able to take it. I won't be okay with that. I need something more, something more exciting, something more unusual. But I'm good at science, and kinda sucky at film. I can't sing worth a damn and I'm not sure the noise I make on a number of different instruments could be considered music. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Woah. Okay, emo kid. Step back and refocus on the real reason for this post: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

I just discovered this last night, though it's been around for a while. But Cake Wrecks (a fabulous blog that showcases cake disasters) had a post on some not so wrecky cakes that featured elements from Dr. Horrible. Of course I had to watch the full musical, a 45-minute drama made for the internet. It wasn’t amazing, but it was certainly very good and worth watching. Here:

It has Neil Patrick Harris, which is awesome, but more importantly it had Felicia Day. I love the stuff that she does, most notable The Guild. The Guild is a web series based on a group of gamers in an fictitious MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game for you non geeks out there) and their lives both in and outside of the game. The first season is absolutely amazing. The main character is played by Day who delivers her lines with a certain wit and honestly that had me doubled over laughing. The second season was also quite good, and the third premieres soon. I think. You should absolutely check out the first season. Tell me you don’t get hooked after the first episode:

And finally, the way I found The Guild way back when in their first season was because one of my other favorite web series, Elevator, was up for a YouTube award. As I voted for them, I checked out the other contestants in their category and found The Guild. Elevator, however, is a funny, fast, smart show about employees in an office building, told in short sketches that take place in the building’s elevator. Everyone’s favorite character is Harold, the super smart and badass janitor, who rules the building with an iron mop. What follows is my favorite episode. It’s quick, but hilarious.

I just filled an entire box with Harry Potter books. How do I have so much stuff? I forbid myself from buying more clothing. That money would be better spent on music. However the music box is ginormous and I’m going to be carrying it up five flights of stairs. Awesome.

No comments: