Saturday, August 8, 2009

What a Catch Donnie

I like most of Fall Out Boy’s video’s, sure, but I really love this one.

Fall Out Boy - What A Catch, Donnie from clandestine on Vimeo.

It’s a simple concept. It’s shot beautifully and elegantly. Alan Ferguson did an amazing, amazing job. I’ve always felt that this song was a eulogy for the band, the last death dirge as the ship sinks down and the band disappears. I didn’t like it much. But with the video, with Patrick Stump rescuing fans and band members and Panic! at the Disco from the disaster of Fall Out Boy, it is both touching and symbolic. I love the emotion in the beginning as well, the utter loneliness on the boat and a reprieve from a winged friend. When he releases the bird at the end a tiny portion of my heart just breaks. There was also an earlier version of the video with a really tragic green screen shot of Pete Wentz going down with the ship, where as here it’s just implied, but the sentiment is the same. I’m a little disturbed that people are partying over it, but I think it’s less death and more moving on. It’s a progression for the band, moving from one phase to another, and I like it. I really, really do. I’d recommend watching it in full screen. It’s worth it.

No comments: