Friday, September 11, 2009

Raditude

School is officially back in session: my blog updates have gone from every couple of days to once a week. Fail.

Another fail: Weezer's new album cover. An album called Raditude, named by Rainn Wilson. I don't even know what's going on with Weezer any more. I think all of the pot that they smoked has finally addled their brains into plain confusion. Because, really? A dog jumping over a table? A tacky yellow border and horrifically cheesy font? My one hope is that this is horrible artwork on the outside of an amazing album, in the "don't judge a book by it's cover" attitude. But, um, what is this?

Their new song is good though. "(If you're wondering if I want you to,) I Want You To" is now streaming on their website, and it's gotten a little bit of radioplay so far. It's very up, very happy, a light song for dancing around with shoes off. It's not their classic alt rock vibe, but it holds on well to their general air of songs about losers, for losers, written by losers. And I say that in the best possible way, as one of their biggest loser fans. It's very, very tight musically, though, and I love artists who can put together a song that is filled with sound, covered in notes and instruments, and yet keep the song from feeling overwhelming. They throw in a lot of sound and there isn't too much space around the notes, everything filled with harmonies and strings, but I can still hear individual guitars and drums and it's not overwhelming. It's like a deep screen of sound, not an oppressive wool coat of noise.

I'm so tired. I'm not making much sense. Weezer's not making much sense. I guess it's fitting.

No comments: