Friday, December 18, 2009

Don't Drink, Don't Smoke, What do you do?

So I might currently be in possession of a hard drive that is not mine. It was loaned to me for a film project, and it is not at all my fault that its owner felt no need to show up to his own film screening and pick it up. It's also totally not my fault that when I plugged it into my laptop to transfer some files, my media program found the near 5000 music files on it.

I can't be blamed for... browsing and borrowing.

So one of the songs that I... borrowed... is an old favorite of mine. I've mentioned my posi straight edge leanings before, but in the 70s and early 80s, before Minor Threat, straight edge was called teetotal. It originally only referred to alcohol, with roots in the temperance movements of the 19th century, but was later adapted in popular culture to abstinence from all recreational drugs. But I digress.

A popular, famous teetotaler of the 80s? Adam Ant of course. And his song about the media's obsession with his teetotalism? "Goody Two Shoes." Now, I have no recollection of this video as a child, but I'm told that I loved it because I thought the people at the end looked like they were having "so much fun" as they danced down the hallway.

Yes, small child Alex, they do. Also, I love his jacket and want it. This is such a fun video.


"No one's gonna tell me what's wrong or what's right."

No comments: