Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Scene is Dying; Long Live the Scene

Panic! at The Disco holds a special place in my musical world. When they split up last July, I wrote a little about how their music narrated the last year of my high school career and about how much Ryan Ross's lyrics meant to me. I really didn't care who he was, or what they meant to him, and I really didn't want to know. Those lyrics went on to mock me over the following year, and then came full circle to describe everything that had happened. The first five tracks of A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, culminating in "Camisado", were pulled straight from my consciousness. For that, and for his ability to describe what being a messed up eighteen year old feels like, Ryan Ross will always hold my respect.

But. But when I did go see Panic live for the first time in May of 2008 they were touring for Pretty. Odd. Ryan sang one song on that CD, "Behind the Sea," and when he sang it live, I cringed. I thought he must have been sick, must have had some sort of cold, because his voice was toneless and dead. Then I heard him sing it live again about six months later and... well his voice was still just dead.

This is why making him the lead singer of The Young Veins is a bad idea. Lyrically, he is one of my favorites. I was considering going to see them play at Great Scott at the end of the month, but honestly, I don't think I can sit through a full set of this:


Original Video- More videos at TinyPic

I've moved on from the fact that the band split up. As long as both sides keep making music, I'll be happy. But please, please, Ryan Ross, find a lead singer.

In more unhappy band news, The Butcher from The Academy Is... released some solo songs on his tumblr. I love TAI shows. Their music holds another portion of my life, the crazy summer of physics and anger and Warped Tour. In my head that summer is labeled "the summer of The Academy Is..." and lately every time I go to one of their shows I strain a little bit more to feel what their music once held. Solo projects don't bode well for the continuation of a band that was already losing steam.

And all this after the end of Fall Out Boy.

Dear bands that I love: Stop breaking up, going on hiatus, and falling apart. It's spreading and I don't like where it's headed.

No comments: