Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Gaslight Anthem American Slang Album Leak

If you're as excited as I am about the new Gaslight Anthem album American Slang, you probably already know that it has leaked. The link popped up on a friend's facebook and, not having heard myself, I downloaded it just because I didn't believe it.

Wow. Stupid internet safety right there.

Anyways, it's now sitting in zip form on my desktop, unextracted and unlistened, and I'm about to delete it.

Why? Why, when holding onto a copy of one of my most anticipated albums of the year am I just going to get rid of it?

Because I believe in independent bands. Because yes, I would still buy the CD when it came out because of my need for physical copies of my music, but it wouldn't feel right. Because new music should be listened to the way the band intended, off of a hard copy CD with album art and liner notes in hand.

Oh I just put it in the recycle bin. That stung a little. But I'll listen to it soon enough the way the band wanted me to. Keeping the bands we love going means supporting them in lots of little ways. This is only one of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, you deleting it did not help them if you planned on buying it anyway. You're right that it changes your experience, though.

Lexie527 said...

Yeah, but maybe I wouldn't have bought it the day it came out if I'd already heard it. I might have waited rather than going out in that first week when the sales count is the most important. It's mainly the experience though, and the fact that a leak dulls the general fan base's excitement nearing the release.