Thursday, April 22, 2010

Yeah, It's a Big Mess Alright

Sometimes, I love cover songs. This is so not one of those times.


I love this song. It's "We've Got a Big Mess on Our Hands" by The Academy Is... and it's always been one of my favorites. I especially love this song live, William Beckett calling out for the crowd's voices and jumping off of the bass drum.

But American Idol butchered it. Seriously. The instruments sound off, they're singing a song about self destruction while smiling, and it's an odd cut. I'm also not sure who thought this would be a good song choice. I can't imagine American Idol and The Academy Is... really have overlapping fanbases.

And they're all doing that weird hand jive thing, like they know they're singing what's supposed to be a song with some sort of meaning behind it, so they're thrusting their hands out horizontally to show that they're really getting into it. Stop that! Stop awkwardly thrusting your hands!

And I can't decipher what that lyric switch is. It's just odd. And what does any of this have to do with Ford? There are a bunch of these videos and they're all equally awkward. Dislike!

For reference, here is the song (and video) that I love:




Oh man, now I'm gong to spend some time watching TAI videos... no, no must write my papers! Agh!

No comments: