Wednesday, December 29, 2010

17

I knew almost nothing about Sky Ferreira until this morning. I don't think this should matter.

There's so much focus among music kids that if you like an artist, you need to know their history and their biography, why they write and where they're from and what they like to do in their spare time. I don't think any of this matters. What matters is the music. What matters is how it makes you feel. What matters is how it sounds and how it affects you.

With that in mind, sometimes when you love music you want to go and find more, and maybe you get curious about who they are and whether it was genuine and if it meant something to the artist too. So I spent five minutes, googled "Sky Ferreira interview" and found out who she was and what she does and whether or not it was genuine. But this didn't mean I liked the song any more, didn't impact how much I'd been in love with this song before this morning.



What did I find out? That' she's been self promoting in the club scene since she was 14, doing what she's singing about for years, and trying to get out of LA, marketing herself and driving her own career (despite recent EMI trouble). I fully support carving out your own career, fighting for yourself, getting what you need to do what you want.

But that doesn't mean the blend of soft intros with electronic chorus doesn't feel right. The drop in the first line in the chorus versus a forced rise is perfect. The music, not who she is, is why I care.

No comments: