Monday, December 20, 2010

Spotlight

I was going to post about this year's Yule Ball, but it seems the past two years those have gone up on Christmas Eve. So instead, you get Patrick Stump playing his new song "Spotlight" all by himself.



It's not as good as the other recorded versions, but it's impressive that he's playing it alone. I love the theme of the song: "They might try to tell you how you can live your life, but don't forget it's your right to do whatever you like, because you could be your own spotlight." I'm a huge believer in the idea that to get what you want, it's got to be DIY, you've got to hustle, you've got to take opportunities and make it happen for yourself. I'm a big fan of musicians, dancers, writers, artists, people who just put themselves out there and work and work and work to get to their goals.

I recently read Keltie Colleen's book Rockettes, Rockstars, and Rockbottom, and while it might get its own post later (that rockstar portion getting it a music nod) it's her work ethic and her spirit that I love, and that have kept me reading her blog for over a year now. Her mantra is "Courage, Passion, Hard Work" and that's what you really do need. You have to be fearless enough to put yourself out there, want it enough to live your life for it, and be willing to work yourself to the bone to get it.

You can be your own spotlight.

No comments: