Saturday, January 22, 2011

Thoughts

The rest of the new Panic! at the Disco song "The Ballad of Mona Lisa" leaked yesterday. I'm cautiously optimistic for the rest of the album. It seems a little safe, very pop rock, with lyrics that just barely press at something deeper or darker. It's a cautious first single, and I'm not really moved by it, but at least I don't think the album is going to be completely awful. I don't really know if it will sell though, past the old fans. Each new album a band puts out should pull in more people than the last and create new fans, and judging by this song I don't know if it will. We'll see. But goddamn I still love that kid's voice and the song is actually starting to grow on me after repeated listening.

Also, Brian Fallon has started a side project with Ian Perkins called The Horrible Crowes. Musically, I think Brian Fallon can do no wrong. There's more info on his personal blog which describes it as "the darker side of soul music, it's slow, it slithers, and it's raw. At the same time, the melodies and pianos are a juxtaposition to the topic material because it's eerily soothing." Excited? Definitely.

No comments: