Friday, February 4, 2011

Vices and Virtues, or I Write Sins Part Two?

This has been out for a while now and I've been listening to it every now and then but it didn't click until just right now.

Panic! at the Disco has always released the music that I needed when I needed it. From angry teenager dealing with a "therapeutic chain of events" to realizing that "things have changed" it was always right for the time. Maybe this one will be too.

Also, I love that "Nearly Witches" has reappeared. There was a 30 second demo of it on a mixtape that came out in 2008 and you can hear the crowd sing along for a few lines. It's really interesting that this version of Panic has been floating around for a while, that the split is something that had probably been building for a long while. I'd always guessed this song had been a clip from the abandoned album between AFYCSO and Pretty.Odd. but it seems I was wrong. This was Brendon all along, even through the paisley and flowers.



Also, the last time I saw them perform, Brendon spent the entire show looking angry. Live videos spent a while looking like he simultaneously wanted to murder the music. This seems less violent, which is a fantastic thing.

And this next one? It sounds like so much fun. And it sounds familiar, like another band, and I can't put my finger on it but I LOVE it.



"Let's Kill Tonight." And Ian is killing that guitar. I've always thought he was the only worthwhile thing about The Cab and he's one of the most amazing guitarists I've seen. Something about the guitars in the chorus from 0:58 to 1:02 remind me of a very specific classic rock song and I have spent the past 30min trying to figure it out and I can't get more than ten seconds of the song playing in my head and I've gone through The Who and Blue Oyster Cult and Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Aerosmith and I can't find the song. It's driving me nuts.

(*EDIT* "November Rain" by Guns & Roses. My father with the save.)

But I like it.

No comments: