Saturday, May 14, 2011

Let it Go, Let it Go

Fake Problems at the Middle East, Cambridge, MA - May 11, 2011

I missed Fake Problems when they came through the area with Tim Barry a couple of months ago, and had decided to go see them when they came through this time, but then the end of my senior year got in the way and I never bought tickets. But when a friend called with an extra ticket and a need for a concert buddy, I couldn't turn it down.

First up was Into It. Over It. Just a guy and his acoustic and I loved it. he talked to the crowd and described the stories that formed the songs and it was great. The crowd was also the most silent crowd I have ever heard, politely and raptly paying attention. Good stuff.

Next up, Pomegranates. The music was cute and they were kind of bouncy but the vocals were just okay and everything was distorted to the point of sounding watery.

Laura Stevenson and the Cans. I think she might have been having an off night. She sounded good but she was obviously unhappy with it and they were having trouble with getting their monitors right and it was just a bit off. But the accordion backed guitars were very pretty and her songs were sweet. I didn't realize until she was playing that I'd actually heard her before, in the following video. It's not really my style, but it's kinda cute indie.



And finally, Fake Problems. They bounced out onto stage and launched into "Soulless" with so much energy that even though I'd been falling asleep on my feet I had to dance and bounce and sing along. Most of what they played was super upbeat, so I was afraid they wouldn't add "Songs for Teenagers" in, but they ended the set with it and I couldn't have been happier. It wasn't a huge crowd, didn't even fill upstairs, but they were screaming along and loving it. The energy was overwhelming and I do not understand why these boys aren't bigger.

This kind of energy and feel on a tiny live stage:

Loved it.

No comments: