Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Newermind

SPIN, for the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind, released a cover version of entitled Newermind. The accompanying issue calls it "the album that changed everything" and yeah, it was.

Nevermind came out when I was two, and I had the chorus of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" scrawled on the back of my planner sophomore year of high school. I don't think I own a physical copy of Nevermind because my copy was a burned CD from a friend, songs out of order and interspersed with The Dropkick Murphys. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is one of the first music videos I remember seeing. Nevermind inspired Rivers Cuomo to write The Blue Album, and inspired countless other artists to write songs and pick up guitars.

SPIN is currently giving the album away for download on their facebook page. I don't love all the covers, but they do show how far reaching of an impact the album has had. All of these different bands have been connected somehow by this 20 year old album. My favorite might be “Polly” by Amanda Palmer, as it’s one of my favorite Nirvana songs sung by one of my favorite artists in a creepy lullaby. I will always hold a special place in my heart for Butch Walker as well, and “In Bloom” is great. And I haven’t made it through the whole album yet, but “Breed” has made me admit that maybe Titus Andronicus isn’t all bad.

No comments: