Friday, November 9, 2012

Four Years

I had this post all planned out. I had a ticket to a Motion City Soundtrack/Jukebox the Ghost show tonight, on the fourth anniversary of my blog, and it was going to be so poetic and perfect.

A lot has happened in the last four years, and some of it has been good and some of it has been bad, but I am in an amazing, happy place right now. No matter what has happened, all of it has brought me to right here and right now and I wouldn't change a thing.

This blog has, obliquely and with references no one else will ever get, captured most of that. It has at times been a project just to make me write something, a journal to remember things that won't fit in my tangible stack of bound white paper and black ink, and sometimes just a log so I don't forget the bands I've seen.

I have, to the best of my knowledge, chronicled every show I've been to in the past four years. For a while, I chronicled every piece of good music I stumbled across. Now, it's an afterthought.

But you're still here after four years, Fake Pink Glasses, somehow clawing along the dredges of the blogosphere. You are the least noticed part of my internet presence, the least polished, the most emo, and absolutely the most narcissistic of my projects.

But I think you might be my favorite.

So here's to clinging on for four years, and to another four years of stumbling along with unread, sporadic, completely unrelated posts.

I'm not going to the show tonight. In a drastic turn from what Alex of 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011 would have done, I'm not hiding under music. One of my friends has taken very ill, and the rest of us have dropped our plans in order to be together and deal with the situation. Being with people I love, with people who love me, with the group of people who have supported me through every insane thing I have ever done, accepted me for every bit of who I am, and who I can only hope to stand behind with the amount of strength they have shown me through the years, is more important than seeing any band.

So I sold my concert ticket to a stranger on Craigslist, traded $30 through a passenger side window as drizzly gray rain hit thin cigarette smoke in a Target parking lot. I'm headed home instead of out tonight.

November 9, 2008

November 9, 2009

November 9, 2010

November 9, 2011

Love, love, and good vibes.

No comments: